Skip to main content

Rock-It Science, Pt. 1


I am part of the house band for a show in New York called Rock-it Science, a part of the Sensation to Emotion Conference. What, pray tell, have I gotten myself into this time?

Headed up by my old friend Tim Sommer, who has provided me with more opportunities in the music business than I can even recall now, we will be backing up the legendary Dee Snider (Twisted Sister's lead vocalist who testified with Frank Zappa and John Denver in the US Congress years ago against the Parents' Music Resource Group's attempt to label content on albums--go, Dee!) and some of the cast of the new Broadway musical Rock of Ages, including American Idol heartthrob Constantine Maroulis. Plus we'll have noted physicist/Blue Oyster Cult associate Dan Levitin, cabaret star Anna Copa Cabanna and former Captain Beefheart guitarist Gary Lucas on board.

The house band is me, Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Group and compiler of Nuggets), Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate and old friend) and Joseph Shireman on guitars--yeah, yeah, that's a lotta guitars, but some of the songs require that kind of overkill; Stuart Chatwood (from Canada's The Tea Party) on lefty bass; and Linda Pitmon (from Steve's band and Zuzu's Petals) on drums.

There will be other acts: a few of the scientists participating in the convention here have their own bands. My old pals, the Kennedys will be here which will be great; hope Maura Kennedy brought her uke and hula-hoop. Rufus Wainwright will top the bill, and that's very exciting for me as a long-time fan of his.

We had a rehearsal last night. I was late arriving because the snowstorm had pushed everyone's flights back almost three hours. We landed and taxied in on what looked like a big sheet of ice. My guitar and keyboard came out almost immediately, and I was hustled from LaGuardia over to Ultrasound Studio on the West Side of Manhattan.

The band was going through "I Wanna Rock" with Ana doing stunt lead vocals. The room had a wall of combo guitar amps to choose from, so I plugged into a '59 Bassman reissue, tuned up and joined in. I had missed the Broadway music director leading the band through Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" and Damn Yankees' "High Enough", two songs I never anticipated having to hear, much less learn to play (Smart Wife was chuckling as I learned the arpeggiated intro to the Bon Jovi song under headphones in our living room a few nights before, knowing that those two songs fall outside my regular realm of eccentric taste.)

We tackled the Nick Gilder classic "Hot Child in the City" with Ana; I used to love that song, but I'd never learned it until last night.

Dan and Gary arrived, and we worked on Dan's instrumental "B.O.C", which stands for... Dan, Gary and Lenny all played the harmony lead with Steve and me holding down the rhythm, although everyone got a few bars to shred on. Dan is also playing a version of "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak with brain-surgery parody lyrics, for which I switched to electric piano.

Steve came up to the mic, and we did a couple Dream Syndicate songs which I remembered from our tour together in 1997. We also did "Amphetamine", a searing revved-up travelogue that I got to pummel some lead guitar on.

We backed Lenny on "Gloria" which he wanted "more Shadows of Knight and less Patti", so we endeavored to achieve that end.

We'd talked about me doing a couple songs with the house band, but I've been reduced to just one, "Neverland" which is fine. That's a song Steve insisted that we do on the 1997 tour together as well, so Linda already knew it and Lenny had it charted. Stuart is a fast study, so he had it down by the end of the song, too.

I'm a good leader and a good follower, and on this show, I'm happy to follow. There's plenty enough for me to do here as it is.

We couldn't convince Tim to join the combo, but it was probably because the only bass in the room was Stuart's left handed Jazz. Still holding out hope for him to do "Farmer John" by the Premiers

Joseph, toward the end of rehearsal, walked me through the parts I was to play on the Bon Jovi and Damn Yankees songs. It was lucky for me that he's a reader, since my lack of ability to navigate a page of sheet music gives rise to the old guitar player joke (Q: How do you shut a lead guitar player up? A: Stick a piece of sheet music in front of him.). Everything was fairly easy to manage, and then we went through the Twisted Sister tunes again to end the night.

There was a lot of "this is so weird, I can't believe this is happening, no one will believe this is happening" going on in all of our minds, I think, as it's not necessarily the cast of characters one would visualize playing some of these songs; Lenny, smartly, put it in the perspective that it was good for us to do things like this, to keep our brains poised and to stretch our boundaries. I went to bed a couple hours later, still singing "I'm a cowboy..." Oh my.

Comments

Leftlord said…
I know Ana Copacabana, she's funny.
I appreciate Lenny's sentiment, we did a version of the Hombres (with my NO soul on/off band the Lonely Knights featurinh King Louie!) 2 years ago at the hi ho with BB Cunningham, and was proud to pull of their jag into 8 miles high (from their record) in the middle of gloria... still love playing that damn song.
Russell said…
Wow,
that's one helluva house band!

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the saddle again -- new shows and updates from Peter H

  Outside The Hit Shed, Durham NC Hi everyone, Getting ready to start back up again, after a year-plus out of action onstage. I have five shows opening up for  Tommy Prine (son of John) coming soon:     August 6 - Georgia Theater (Athens GA)     August 7 - Cat's Cradle Back Room (Chapel Hill NC)     August 8 - The Grey Eagle (Asheville NC)     September 3 - 118 North (Philadelphia PA)     September 4 - Rams Head (Annapolis MD) I'm also going to open for the Connells , whose new album Steadman's Wake is superb:     September 18 - The Eastern (Atlanta GA) You all probably already know about Our Back Pages  (by Peter Holsapple & Chris Stamey) being released on LP and CD via Omnivore Recordings, but if not, here's a link to the new video for "Today Could Be the Day." The songs on OBP are from the catalog of The dB's but given new and interesting treatments by Chris and me. I've been working in The Hit Shed, my home studio, over the months, writing a

Jungle gym

Day before yesterday, after school, I got to watch the five-year-old put hand after hand on the overhead ladder and get himself from one side to the other. It seemed like only days ago that he'd been struggling, worried about how to get from one rung to the next, how far down he would fall and how badly he'd be hurt if he did fall. Now he boldly traversed the ladder with me ten feet away, hearing "watch this, Daddy" and looking on, gapemouthed and amazed. I remember having that feeling about ten years ago, out at the lakefront park in New Orleans, watching my daughter struggling the same way for weeks of her trying and dropping to the sand, sadly defeated for all her effort. Until one day, she swung herself to the next rung, stayed attached then did it again with a look of intense exhiliration in her face. She was incredibly proud of her victory, as was I, and she has excelled at gymnastics and physical education ever since. There's one more child that I get to

"Back yet again!" says the Infrequent Blogger

(photo by Bill Reaves) I am inevitably confounded by the amount of time I let go by between posts here. My last post was February of last year (2022). You may ask yourself "what was he doing that prevented him from posting again?" and the answer is, of course, "nothing really." I forget I have this place to write my thoughts down for a waiting world to read, which would be helpful for me as well to empty my chaotic mind and make a little space. But since you're here and may be wondering what I'm up to, I'll try to fill you in. Mostly, I'm tending to home stuff. I do laundry and pick up groceries and a lot of domestic engineering that involves a broom, dustpan and mop. And sometimes that sweet shower glass cleaner recipe I found a while ago that makes it so you can see out again. We have a new junior at UNC-W and a new junior at Riverside High School, and they've been navigating their lives outside the nest. The high schooler just got her drivers&