Skip to main content

Firefly

We have in our backyard one firefly, so far as I can tell. He lazily wanders around among the foliage, illuminating his heinie periodically, unconcerned with his solitary existence. I try to visit him every night, at least for a few minutes. He doesn't understand my apprehension.

When I was a kid, back in the Sixties, I remember our evening yard being full of fireflies in Old Greenwich. Like most idiot children of the time, I captured them in a mayonnaise jar. We punctured holes in the lid with a flathead screwdriver so the bugs could 'breathe' for whatever time in captivity they had left. It was usually not very long, and we'd have a jar bottom carpeted in dead fireflies in a couple hours. (Some of my evil little friends used to take the insect and smear their luminescent hindquarters on their shirts, and as cool as they thought they were, that kind of wholesale bug torture never appealed to me.)

I also remember sitting on the mayor's porch in Oxford, Mississippi with the various members of the Continental Drifters, watching a firefly convention at some point in the 1990's. No capture, no bug persecution, just sincere admiration on our part; fireflies figured prominently on the cover of our debut album, you will recall.

And now, I have just one single firefly to admire. My overactive sense of guilt makes me wonder how much I contributed to their population shrinkage. Of course, that'd have to be extended to me and every other kid in America who took advantage of their slow-moving flight.

Where did they all go? What happened to them?

I miss that blanket of flashing lights from my childhood every time I see my little nightly visitor. I hope he's not as lonely as he makes me feel.

Comments

Pat R. said…
Thanks for a great post. I was thinking the same thing the other night as I went for a post-dusk walk. A random lightening bug here and there, but few and far between. I too, remember as a kid being outside and seeing tons of them. Where did they all go?
Pat R. said…
One observation found on line---

"...scientists believe firefly's aren't mating as often anymore because of all the city light and street lights and other lamps and lights that are on all night-- they light up to find a mate and so many are confused and mistaking the fluorescent lights for false lights and not mating..."
Where have all the fireflys gone? l guess they split with the bees. Einstein said as go the bees, goes the human race or something to that effect.
It's not a good sign. None here either.
Anonymous said…
What about all those useless jar lids with holes knocked in them? Where did they go?
Anthony Rabun said…
They are all in my backyard, hundreds and hundreds of them.
We have lots of fireflies...although by this late in the summer they're usually few and far between....but we have had many a night of watching the kids catching them and putting them in jars....

Popular posts from this blog

"Back yet again!" says the Infrequent Blogger

(photo by Bill Reaves) I am inevitably confounded by the amount of time I let go by between posts here. My last post was February of last year (2022). You may ask yourself "what was he doing that prevented him from posting again?" and the answer is, of course, "nothing really." I forget I have this place to write my thoughts down for a waiting world to read, which would be helpful for me as well to empty my chaotic mind and make a little space. But since you're here and may be wondering what I'm up to, I'll try to fill you in. Mostly, I'm tending to home stuff. I do laundry and pick up groceries and a lot of domestic engineering that involves a broom, dustpan and mop. And sometimes that sweet shower glass cleaner recipe I found a while ago that makes it so you can see out again. We have a new junior at UNC-W and a new junior at Riverside High School, and they've been navigating their lives outside the nest. The high schooler just got her drivers&

NY Times blog part three is up

I know, I know. You haven't heard from me lately, and I'm sorry. The future's looming large, and distractions have been keeping me away from DTBMMLF. Meanwhile, the Times songwriting blog is up so you can go read that for the moment. I'll be back soon, I promise. Thank you for your patience.

Merry Christmas
and/or Happy Holidays,
whichever you prefer!

On Christmas Day 2023, my family found itself chilling in our hotel room in Chicago, feeling exceptionally fortunate to have each other and our health and love. We decided to forgo the major present giving, with all that accompanies choosing gifts people will like, and just have ourselves an experience for Christmas. And I think we'd all agree that it was a fantastic choice. We saw the Art Institute of Chicago (5 hours there), the Frank Lloyd Wright house and studio, the University of Chicago campus, the Museum of Science and Industry, and the Chicago Architecture Center. We ate Chicago hot dogs at the Billy Goat Tavern, shared a burger at Gordon Ramsay Burger, drunk coffee at the enormous Starbuck's Reserve, and been entertained/abused by the dancing waitstaff at Ed Debevic's. We walked around Millennium Park twice (the Bean is closed, unfortunately) and the Magnificent Mile and the Riverwalk. The weather was chilly, which Chicago thinks of as 'balmy',