Skip to main content

Todd

A friend of mine was recently in receipt of a neighbor's album collection, about a hundred twenty, mostly good condition stuff from the seventies and eighties. The neighbor was probably closer to my age than my friend, judging from the vintage and the slant of the collection. There was obvious stuff like Led Zeppelin (III with the wheel, In Through the Out Door undisturbed by water), the Who (Sell Out and Magic Bus on Decca, and solo works like Two Sides of the Moon and the Roger-as-centaur Ride a Rock Horse) and David Bowie (original The Man Who Sold the World and its hideous RCA reissue); and there were some less obvious ones, like Ooh-La-La by the Faces with the squeeze-in cover and Helluva Band, an Angel album I confess I didn't know existed.

There was also a nice bunch of Todd Rundgren albums, most of which I owned at one point or another. Just out of habit, and since my friend was asking what was interesting and potentially valuable among the records there, I fished my hand into the sleeve of Todd, the 1974 double album set whose best-known song may be "A Dream Goes on Forever". The poster was still inside, slightly tape-aged in the corners but in good condition otherwise.

I explained to my friend that there had been a postcard in the prior album Todd had done, A Wizard, A True Star. The request was for people to send the postcards to Bearsville Records, and that they would get used in some artistic way.

Sure enough, next album, there was a poster included with the music. One side had a picture of Our Todd, with the feathery hair and the psychedelically decorated Les Paul SG. The lyrics were on that side too.

Flip the poster over, and there are all the names from the postcards, assembled to resemble from a distance the image of Todd Rundgren. Thousands of names, it would seem. Clever art from a clever company during an incredibly creative time.

I point out my name, faint as it is. My friend is amazed that it's there, some thirty-three years later. It somehow connects me into some other world for him, the world of vinyl and packaging and records with posters or that have zippers on them. I feel slighly like a relic and I start home in my wheeled reliquary.

On the way home, I wonder about all the other names on there. What have they done with their lives since they mailed in their postcards? Are they still listening to Todd records, or mp3's? Could we all ever find each other again, and would we fit in the same room?

I only know a couple of names on there, but then I have never read the whole list. I'm sure it'd be surprising who's on there.

Todd was a huge hero of mine and my friends when we were teens. We loved his hits and we loved his non-hits, from Nazz on through. We saw him open for Free and Alice Cooper in Greensboro, and we got to talk to him. I gave him a quarter for having covered "Under the Ice" in one of my bands. We loved his glossy production of Dolls and Grand Funk alike. Hell, he engineered Stage Fright! That he employed Soupy Sales' sons from Tony and the Tigers as his rhythm section only endeared him to us more. Todd could do no wrong for a long time.

Somewhere along the line came Utopia, and though some of us saw him at Dorton Arena with the early version of that band, it never coagulated for some of us old fans, unfortunately, and we moved on to other sounds.

But tonight I found a random verification of my teen life once again, there on a poster, three decades later.


Comments

Deaconlight said…
Dude - you are becoming high maintenance. First I had to set up a blogger account so I can comment on your blogs.

Then I read your Todd blog, which comes on the heels of the 40 Years of Todd campaign that I helped Bill Bricker with to get a half-page ad in Rolling Stone. That isn't nearly as historical as the Todd poster, but at least Deaconlight.com, Avalon, Annecy, and Billy Leather are in that ad.

Somewhere in my attic is a ragged copy of the original Todd poster that I specifically remember seeing your name on. I underlined it in pencil. Seems I remember Will Rigby and maybe Chris? were on there. I set up a MySpace page dedicated to Todd's A Wizard/A True Star where there are images of the the postcard you sent to get your name on that poster along with other stuff about AWATS.

Keep on writing. You write like I wish I could write!

Sincerely,

NOT halfpear, but half TODD (the second half).

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the saddle again -- new shows and updates from Peter H

  Outside The Hit Shed, Durham NC Hi everyone, Getting ready to start back up again, after a year-plus out of action onstage. I have five shows opening up for  Tommy Prine (son of John) coming soon:     August 6 - Georgia Theater (Athens GA)     August 7 - Cat's Cradle Back Room (Chapel Hill NC)     August 8 - The Grey Eagle (Asheville NC)     September 3 - 118 North (Philadelphia PA)     September 4 - Rams Head (Annapolis MD) I'm also going to open for the Connells , whose new album Steadman's Wake is superb:     September 18 - The Eastern (Atlanta GA) You all probably already know about Our Back Pages  (by Peter Holsapple & Chris Stamey) being released on LP and CD via Omnivore Recordings, but if not, here's a link to the new video for "Today Could Be the Day." The songs on OBP are from the catalog of The dB's but given new and interesting treatments by Chris and me. I've been working in The Hit Shed, my home studio, over the months, writing a

Jungle gym

Day before yesterday, after school, I got to watch the five-year-old put hand after hand on the overhead ladder and get himself from one side to the other. It seemed like only days ago that he'd been struggling, worried about how to get from one rung to the next, how far down he would fall and how badly he'd be hurt if he did fall. Now he boldly traversed the ladder with me ten feet away, hearing "watch this, Daddy" and looking on, gapemouthed and amazed. I remember having that feeling about ten years ago, out at the lakefront park in New Orleans, watching my daughter struggling the same way for weeks of her trying and dropping to the sand, sadly defeated for all her effort. Until one day, she swung herself to the next rung, stayed attached then did it again with a look of intense exhiliration in her face. She was incredibly proud of her victory, as was I, and she has excelled at gymnastics and physical education ever since. There's one more child that I get to

"Back yet again!" says the Infrequent Blogger

(photo by Bill Reaves) I am inevitably confounded by the amount of time I let go by between posts here. My last post was February of last year (2022). You may ask yourself "what was he doing that prevented him from posting again?" and the answer is, of course, "nothing really." I forget I have this place to write my thoughts down for a waiting world to read, which would be helpful for me as well to empty my chaotic mind and make a little space. But since you're here and may be wondering what I'm up to, I'll try to fill you in. Mostly, I'm tending to home stuff. I do laundry and pick up groceries and a lot of domestic engineering that involves a broom, dustpan and mop. And sometimes that sweet shower glass cleaner recipe I found a while ago that makes it so you can see out again. We have a new junior at UNC-W and a new junior at Riverside High School, and they've been navigating their lives outside the nest. The high schooler just got her drivers&