Skip to main content

The Return of Peter Holsapple, Forgetful Blogger

"I can see my house from here."

Hi everyone, your wayward correspondent here, begging for forgiveness and mercy again. 


So the single did what it was going to do, and the video Dan Andrews and Mike Allen did for it has gotten over 4000 views. Pretty good for no advertising, a little bit of radio (thanks Mike Marrone at The Loft) and scattershot shows. Basically, I'm really pleased with the calling-card nature of the thing, and I believe I reintroduced myself to the public in a positive light, even though "Don't Mention the War" is light as a battleship's anchor and as danceable as a funeral march. (And those are good things!)

That said, here we are in May 2018, and I'm getting ready to release a new album on July 25. I'm not at liberty to say who's releasing it presently, but I think you'll be very pleased when you find out. It's called Game Day, after the lead-off track.

Here's the trailer for the record. 

I played almost every note on the record. I recorded and mixed it in my basement studio. I'm so far inside this record I'm breathing dryer lint. So any semblance of objectivity about it and its chances at being loved by the general populace is nil.

The best thing is I did the record all by myself (that may also be the worst thing I did), and it's absolutely the record I wanted to make. People will undoubtedly hear it and scratch their heads and say it sounds weird and eccentric, at least I hope so. I can't I'm a professional producer or engineer, and indeed, a lot of stuff went down on the album by necessity or lack of fundamental tools. I was not going to let those things or any ineptitude or lack of skill stop me from getting this done, so you're getting a shank of my mind and soul, trussed up to look like an album of songs.

After I sent it to the record company, I felt a little emptied out, having spent so many of my spare hours finishing the record up. But fortunately, I also have an impending move to a new place to live concurrent with the finishing of this project, so I'm not spending a whole lot of waking hours anxious about the record. It is what it was made to be, a representative batch of newer songs that I like best in my catalog. No more, no less.

I'm prepared for people to love Game Day; I'm also okay with people not loving it because it doesn't sound like records or bands I've been involved with before. In past instances, I've allowed the opinions of my work to twist my emotions into rattails, but this album is different: I own it all. Every note. Every flub. Every effect on every guitar. It's my pleasure, it's my fault. I feel completely at ease with it, something I've never felt with a record before.



Now that the record's done, I'm also rehearsing a new group, the Peter Holsapple Combo which features Will Rigby on drums and Glenn Richard Jones on Fender bass. You know Will, but you may not know Glenn--we've been playing together in the Well Respected Men for a few years now, and I admire his playing and singing so much I bullied him into playing bass in this combo. He acquiesced and has been an important leg of this musical furniture. We're playing songs from this album, a couple dB's and Continental Drifters songs and some choice covers. Everyone's sounding really good, and we're having a ton of fun playing together. I'm trying to be a good bossman, but I'm getting the songs to sound like they need to without being a creep about it. No mutinies yet, so I'm ahead of the game, I guess.

We have a couple dates booked in August which I'll more post about as they become reality.

Thanks so much for your forbearance with this blog. I'm trying hard to be a better self-promoter but, as we all know, I seem to have all the qualities of a superstar with the exception of ambition. 

Love
PeterH




Comments

James Lynch III said…
Dates booked in NC? Any chance of CA dates?

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the saddle again -- new shows and updates from Peter H

  Outside The Hit Shed, Durham NC Hi everyone, Getting ready to start back up again, after a year-plus out of action onstage. I have five shows opening up for  Tommy Prine (son of John) coming soon:     August 6 - Georgia Theater (Athens GA)     August 7 - Cat's Cradle Back Room (Chapel Hill NC)     August 8 - The Grey Eagle (Asheville NC)     September 3 - 118 North (Philadelphia PA)     September 4 - Rams Head (Annapolis MD) I'm also going to open for the Connells , whose new album Steadman's Wake is superb:     September 18 - The Eastern (Atlanta GA) You all probably already know about Our Back Pages  (by Peter Holsapple & Chris Stamey) being released on LP and CD via Omnivore Recordings, but if not, here's a link to the new video for "Today Could Be the Day." The songs on OBP are from the catalog of The dB's but given new and interesting treatments by Chris and me. I've been working in The Hit Shed, my home studio, over the months, writing a

Jungle gym

Day before yesterday, after school, I got to watch the five-year-old put hand after hand on the overhead ladder and get himself from one side to the other. It seemed like only days ago that he'd been struggling, worried about how to get from one rung to the next, how far down he would fall and how badly he'd be hurt if he did fall. Now he boldly traversed the ladder with me ten feet away, hearing "watch this, Daddy" and looking on, gapemouthed and amazed. I remember having that feeling about ten years ago, out at the lakefront park in New Orleans, watching my daughter struggling the same way for weeks of her trying and dropping to the sand, sadly defeated for all her effort. Until one day, she swung herself to the next rung, stayed attached then did it again with a look of intense exhiliration in her face. She was incredibly proud of her victory, as was I, and she has excelled at gymnastics and physical education ever since. There's one more child that I get to

"Back yet again!" says the Infrequent Blogger

(photo by Bill Reaves) I am inevitably confounded by the amount of time I let go by between posts here. My last post was February of last year (2022). You may ask yourself "what was he doing that prevented him from posting again?" and the answer is, of course, "nothing really." I forget I have this place to write my thoughts down for a waiting world to read, which would be helpful for me as well to empty my chaotic mind and make a little space. But since you're here and may be wondering what I'm up to, I'll try to fill you in. Mostly, I'm tending to home stuff. I do laundry and pick up groceries and a lot of domestic engineering that involves a broom, dustpan and mop. And sometimes that sweet shower glass cleaner recipe I found a while ago that makes it so you can see out again. We have a new junior at UNC-W and a new junior at Riverside High School, and they've been navigating their lives outside the nest. The high schooler just got her drivers&