Skip to main content

The Butterfield Blues Band - The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw

This album is the first Paul Butterfield record after Mike Bloomfield left to start the Electric Flag.

The mighty Elvin Bishop steps forward on lead guitar, there's a horn section that features a young David Sanborn and the whole affair is a slight step sideways from the experimental nature of East West's title tune. But it's great, and it's the album that got me interested in trying to write horn charts for my prepubescent blues band.

I can't actually read notes the way one should be able to. I have tried since Pigboy Crabshaw to use staff paper for something other than artwork, but I have a long-standing mental block that has yet to fall. Maybe, had I had piano lessons as a kid, I would find notation comprehensible, but I didn't and it isn't.

Never stopped me from trying, though. Simple straight blues tunes like "Drivin' Wheel" with their simple horn arrangements were my initial projects. Someone clued me in to the fact that writing charts for alto and tenor saxophones and trumpets required writing them out in keys other than the one that the song is in. So I struggled with Eb and Bb, trying to make sense of incidentals that popped up constantly. At least I was playing snare drum in my school orchestra by then (alongside Will Rigby), so I had a little better idea how to write the rhythm of the notes. But it was still no picnic, and heaven only knows what it must've sounded like, had it been played.

It never really mattered anyway as none of my little band class pals tried to read my charts. My blues band was two guitarists and a drummer. We couldn't recruit any of our make-learny trumpet- and sax-playing classmates for our weekend rehearsals, so any horn-driven tunes we tried to learn ended up probably sounding thin and small. It hardly was of consequence because we never played outside of our living rooms.

But we wanted to, believe me; we didn't see that as an impossibility at twelve, naively enough. It would take a couple more years, until 1970 when I stood next to Chris Stamey in the orchestra pit at R.J. Reynolds High School auditorium, looking up at the second incarnation of Rittenhouse Square (a band I would later join) that I made the connection between seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and what local bands could accomplish in town. When I did, it was all over; any dreams of being a NASCAR driver or minister evaporated.

I've digressed from the Butterfield album at hand, but it's another one that still sounds great years later. The Marvin Gaye song "One More Heartache" kicks the album into gear, another song that I had issues with about finding the downbeat until much later in life. "Tollin' Bells" is one of the darkest, saddest blues songs ever. The rhythm section of "Bugsy" Maugh and Phillip Wilson are the tightest the Butterfield band ever had.

Nowadays, you can get The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw at a somewhat reduced rate on iTunes, if that's how you get your music. I may be doing that myself today with my Christmas iTunes gift certificate, and if I do that, I know I'll be singing "my baby don't have to work, she don't have to rob and steal" for the rest of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the saddle again -- new shows and updates from Peter H

  Outside The Hit Shed, Durham NC Hi everyone, Getting ready to start back up again, after a year-plus out of action onstage. I have five shows opening up for  Tommy Prine (son of John) coming soon:     August 6 - Georgia Theater (Athens GA)     August 7 - Cat's Cradle Back Room (Chapel Hill NC)     August 8 - The Grey Eagle (Asheville NC)     September 3 - 118 North (Philadelphia PA)     September 4 - Rams Head (Annapolis MD) I'm also going to open for the Connells , whose new album Steadman's Wake is superb:     September 18 - The Eastern (Atlanta GA) You all probably already know about Our Back Pages  (by Peter Holsapple & Chris Stamey) being released on LP and CD via Omnivore Recordings, but if not, here's a link to the new video for "Today Could Be the Day." The songs on OBP are from the catalog of The dB's but given new and interesting treatments by Chris and me. I've been working in The Hit Shed, my home studio, over the months, writing a

Jungle gym

Day before yesterday, after school, I got to watch the five-year-old put hand after hand on the overhead ladder and get himself from one side to the other. It seemed like only days ago that he'd been struggling, worried about how to get from one rung to the next, how far down he would fall and how badly he'd be hurt if he did fall. Now he boldly traversed the ladder with me ten feet away, hearing "watch this, Daddy" and looking on, gapemouthed and amazed. I remember having that feeling about ten years ago, out at the lakefront park in New Orleans, watching my daughter struggling the same way for weeks of her trying and dropping to the sand, sadly defeated for all her effort. Until one day, she swung herself to the next rung, stayed attached then did it again with a look of intense exhiliration in her face. She was incredibly proud of her victory, as was I, and she has excelled at gymnastics and physical education ever since. There's one more child that I get to

"Back yet again!" says the Infrequent Blogger

(photo by Bill Reaves) I am inevitably confounded by the amount of time I let go by between posts here. My last post was February of last year (2022). You may ask yourself "what was he doing that prevented him from posting again?" and the answer is, of course, "nothing really." I forget I have this place to write my thoughts down for a waiting world to read, which would be helpful for me as well to empty my chaotic mind and make a little space. But since you're here and may be wondering what I'm up to, I'll try to fill you in. Mostly, I'm tending to home stuff. I do laundry and pick up groceries and a lot of domestic engineering that involves a broom, dustpan and mop. And sometimes that sweet shower glass cleaner recipe I found a while ago that makes it so you can see out again. We have a new junior at UNC-W and a new junior at Riverside High School, and they've been navigating their lives outside the nest. The high schooler just got her drivers&